A major focus of the IOCCG has been the formation of specialized working groups investigating various aspects of ocean-colour technology and its applications. The end product of these working groups is usually the publication of an IOCCG report. A recommendation was also implemented by the working group on Standardizing the Extraterrestrial Solar Flux Spectrum, chaired by Prof. Andre Morel.
If you would like to propose a new IOCCG working group, please consult the Guidelines for Proposing a New IOCCG Working Group. A list of current and past IOCCG working groups is given below.
Current Scientific IOCCG Working Groups
- Harmful Algal Blooms
- Uncertainties in Ocean Colour Remote Sensing
- Intercomparison of Atmospheric Correction Algorithms over Optically-Complex Waters
- Earth Observations in Support of Global Water Quality Monitoring
- Role of Ocean Colour in Biogeochemical, Ecosystem and Climate Modelling
- Long Term Vicarious Adjustment of Ocean Colour Sensors
Reports from each of these groups will be published by the IOCCG and distributed in a timely manner (free of charge), as and when they become available.
Completed IOCCG Working Groups
- Working group on Minimum Requirements for an Operational Ocean-Colour Sensor (Chaired by André Morel).
Report: IOCCG Report 1 (1998). Minimum Requirements for an Operational Ocean-Colour Sensor for the Open Ocean.
- Working group on Status and Plans for Ocean-Colour Missions (Chaired by Tasuku Tanaka and James Yoder).
Report: IOCCG Report 2 (1999). Status and Plans for Satellite Ocean-Colour Missions: Considerations for Complementary Missions.
- Working group on Ocean-Colour in Case 2 Waters (chaired by Shubha Sathyendranath).
Report: IOCCG Report 3 (2000). Remote Sensing of Ocean Colour in Coastal, and Other Optically-Complex, Waters..
- Working group on Standardizing the Extraterrestrial Solar Flux Spectrum (Chaired by André Morel and James Mueller)
Report: See Recommendation
- Working group on Ocean-Colour Data Binning (Chaired by David Antoine)
Report: IOCCG Report 4 (2004). Guide to the creation and use of ocean-colour, Level-3, binned data products.
- Working group on Ocean-Colour Algorithms (Chaired by ZhongPing Lee)
Report: IOCCG Report 5 (2006). Remote Sensing of Inherent Optical Properties: Fundamentals, Tests of Algorithms, and Applications.
- Working group on Coordination of Merged Data Sets (Chaired by Watson Gregg and Paula Bontempi)
Report: IOCCG Report 6 (2007). Ocean-Colour Data Merging.
- Working group on Operational Ocean Colour (Chaired by Christopher Brownh, Trevor Platt and Nicolas Hoepffner)
Report: IOCCG Report 7 (2008). Why Ocean Colour? The Societal Benefits of Ocean- Colour Technology.
- The SAFARI Project (Societal Applications in Fisheries and Aquaculture using Remotely-Sensed Imagery)
Report: IOCCG Report 8 (2009). Remote Sensing in Fisheries and Aquaculture.
- Working group on Global Ecological Provinces (Chaired by Mark Dowell and Trevor Platt)
Report: IOCCG Report 9 (2009). Partition of the Ocean into Ecological Provinces: Role of Ocean-Colour Radiometry.
- Working group on Comparison of Atmospheric Correction Algorithms (Chaired by Menghua Wang).
Report: IOCCG Report 10 (2010). Atmospheric Correction for Remotely-Sensed Ocean-Colour Products.
- Working group on Bio-optical Instrumentation on ARGO Floats (chaired by Hervé Claustre).
Report: IOCCG Report 11 (2011). Bio-Optical Sensors on Argo Floats.
- Working group on Ocean Colour from a Geostationary Orbit (chaired by David Antoine).
Report: IOCCG Report 12 (2012). Ocean-Colour Observations from a Geostationary Orbit.
- Working group on Mission Requirements for Ocean Colour Remote Sensing (chaired by Charles R. McClain, Gerhard Meister and Paula Bontempi).
Report: IOCCG Report 13 (2012). Mission Requirements for Future Ocean-Colour Sensors.
- Working group on Calibration of Satellite Ocean-Colour Sensors (chaired by Robert Frouin).
Report: IOCCG Report 14 (2013). In-flight Calibration of Satellite Ocean-Colour Sensors.
- Working group on Phytoplankton Functional Types (chaired by Shubha Sathyendranath).
Report: IOCCG Report 15 (2014). Phytoplankton Functional Types from Space.
- Working group on Ocean Colour Remote Sensing in Polar Seas (chaired by Marcel Babin, Kevin Arrigo and Simon Bélanger). Report: IOCCG Report 16 (2015). Polar Seas Ocean Colour Remote Sensing.